Deep-fried hush puppies are deep fried small balls made from cornmeal and other flavourful ingredients like milk. It’s tasty, easy to make and not greasy.
- 11/2 cup of white or yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 3 tsp. of baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of Dano powdered milk dissolved in water to make 3/4 cup of milk
- Oil for deep frying
- Add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Stir well to mix evenly.
- In another bowl, beat egg until it’s frothy.
- Stir in dissolved Dano milk in the egg and pour into dry ingredients.
- Stir to blend well.
- Allow mixture firm up slightly.
- Use spoon to put mixture in small amounts into hot oil
- Fry till it’s browned.
- Drain on paper towels.
Serve hot and enjoy!