Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the insides with a dash of sweet syrupy goodness, french toast is the ultimate weekend breakfast indulgence. It is known in France as pain perdu, which translates to “lost bread,” because it makes delicious use of stale or leftover bread.
Even if you are a novice in the breakfast game, this simple recipe will surely transform your bread, eggs, and milk into an indulgent brunch dish you will enjoy.
Do you have some 15 minutes to spare? Then grab your apron, fire up the stove, and let’s dive into the world of French toast together!
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cups of Dano full cream powdered milk
- 8 thick slices of bread (better if slightly stale)
- ¼ tbsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- Maple syrup or honey or Jam
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and salt in a shallow dish
- Pour in the dissolved milk and stir.
- Ready your cooking space: Place the frying pan on the stove over medium-low heat.
- Soak the bread slices on one side for one minute.
- While the bread is soaking, add 1 tbsp of butter to the pan. When it starts to foam, tilt the pan to completely coat the bottom.
- Turnover the soaked side of the bread to soak the other side for another minute.
- Transfer soaked slices to the hot pan and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Serve hot with either spread, butter, maple syrup, jam or honey.
As you can see, it’s not that difficult, or messy to make delicious French toasts. So, go ahead, try it and share with your loved ones today.