There are certain foods we love so much that we just eat them straight from the container without waiting to pour in a cup. Sweetened condensed milk is one of those foods.
Condensed milk is cow’s milk from which water has been removed. It is most often found in the form of sweetened condensed milk, with sugar added. It is used in baking, ice cream, sorbets and any other recipes where the creaminess of milk is needed.
You can now make sweetened condensed milk from Dano powdered milk in the comfort of your own home. It is easy to make and tastes great too. Try it out and let us know what you think.
Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 40 mins | Total time: 45 mins
3 3/4 cups Dano Skimmed milk
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 Tbs salt
2 1/3 cups water
How to prepare:
- Add the milk and sugar into a heavy bottomed saucepan
- Heat it on a low heat until the sugar has dissolved
- Once all of the sugar has dissolved bring the mix to a simmer over low/medium heat. Do not stir once the mix starts to simmer otherwise it can crack and crystalize
- Gently simmer for roughly 35-40 minutes, or until the milk has darkened to an almost grey color, has reduced by half and thickened (After about 15 minutes, you’ll notice that the milk will start to turn dark and thicken – that’s ok and is exactly what’s supposed to happen)
- You may notice some foam forming on top. Gently skim it off with a spoon.
- When ready, remove from the heat and pour into a jar to cool (if there are sugary bits hanging around the rim of your pot don’t stir them into your condensed milk, this can also crack your mix)
- Let the condensed milk cool completely before putting on the airtight lid.
- Store in a jar in the fridge and it will last for months. Don’t forget to label it.
That’s It Folks! You are done!
This is the equivalent of a can of sweetened condensed milk. This will keep unrefrigerated for a day or two because of the sugar. In the fridge it will keep for 2 weeks. For longer storage than that, freeze it.
Whether you choose to indulge every day or less frequently is up to you — but whenever you’re ready, sweetened condensed milk will be there for you.