Show your family you love them with a sweetheart sandwich – perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
The creamy cheese provides a tasty difference to the jam, while the egg + milk dip makes for a perfectly delicious, golden coating.
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 3 tbsps. of Dano powdered milk dissolved in water to make 1 cup of milk
- ½ tsp. of vanilla extract
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 thin slices of cheese (any choice)
- ¼ cup of red berry jam
- 1 tbsp. of butter
- In a shallow dish, whisk eggs until blended
- Add sugar, milk and vanilla and whisk until mixture is smooth
- Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter or a small knife to cut bread into heart shapes
- Remove all crusts and reserve for another use
- Cut cheese slices into the same size of heart shapes
- Spread jam evenly on one side of each heart-shaped bread slice
- Place eight slices of cheese (two each) on four of the heart-shaped bread slices
- Add cheese trimmings on top of all.
- Cover each of the four heart-shaped bread slices with the remaining four
- Dip sandwiches into milk mixture, turning to coat and soak bread well.
- Discard any excess milk mixture.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or electric griddle over medium heat.
- Brush with a thin layer of the butter.
- Cook sandwiches, in batches as necessary
- Cook for 2 to 3 min on each side, until both sides are brown and cheese is melted.
- Brush the pan with more butter between batches as necessary.
Serve in a plate with a glass of Dano Flavoured milk – chocolate or strawberry!
- Use an electric sandwich press or indoor contact grill to cook sweetheart sandwich.
- Use leftover bread cuttings to make a fabulous breakfast bread pudding for tomorrow.
- For a spicy flavour, replace berry jam with hot pepper jelly and/or use a Canadian Havarti with hot peppers.